Allow your imagination to go wild with scented play dough. This play dough “recipe” is my own little creation which you can modify and make your own.
- 3/4 cup of flour + about another 1/2 cup to 1 cup to add later
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of baby oil
- 3/4 cups of water
- a couple drops of liquid food coloring
- a couple drops of your favorite essential oil
Equipment / Materials:
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- wax paper
- Ziplock bag
How to make it:
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the baby oil, water, and food coloring to the mix in the bowl.
- Transfer the mix to a pot on the stove and stir slowly over low heat with wooden spoon.
- Lay out a sheet of wax paper and cover it with some flour. Once the ingredients have mixed well, transfer the mixture to the wax paper.
- Start kneading the dough, adding more flour as necessary until you reach a consistency that’s not too sticky nor too dry.
- Add a few drops of essential oils.
- Store in a plastic Ziplock bag in the refrigerator.
- You can add other things at the end such as glitter to add texture to your play dough.
- Make a color that you can use as a backdrop for an adventure. I made a beautiful light blue color to use as the sea. Then, add sea shells, plastic toys, etc for pretend play.
- This recipe is not safe for children who may eat it. Never use essential oils or baby oil if your child is young enough to put it in his or her mouth.